Basic Firefighting Techniques Training Course
- Unit Standard
A learner credited with this unit standard will be capable of identifying, containing, preventing and extinguishing different types of fires by operating basic firefighting equipment.
The qualifying learner will be capable of:
- Identifying different types of fires
- Explaining and practice fire prevention
- Operating basic firefighting equipment
- Perform basic firefighting procedures
Unit Standard 252250
- The nature of the fire is correctly identified and its context correctly assessed
- Appropriate fire fighting and safety equipment is selected and checked
- Hazards are isolated
- Fire is approached according to procedures
- Changes in the fire are monitored and responded to
- Retreat from the fire site is undertaken according to appropriate retreat procedures for the type of fire
Respond to `what if` and `why` questions covering:
- Applicable chemistry of fires
- Methods of fire transmission
- Types of fires
- Selection of firefighting procedures for particular fires
- Prevention of fires
- Types, uses and operation of firefighting & safety equipment
- Retreat procedure from fire
- Issues to consider when monitoring fire & site
- Handover procedures
- Reporting & recording requirements
Total hours for this course is eight (8) hours.
Course is held for one (1) day.
Per Person R450.00
Subject to assessment, all participants will be issued with Basic Firefighting Techniques certificate approved by the MerSETA (Skills, Education & Training Authorities).
This qualification is valid for Two (2) years which can be renewed.